Akureyri is recognized as Iceland’s second city that attracts millions of tourists every year. Located in the northern region of the country and with about 18.000 residents. You will be immediately hooked to a strong cultural vibe, great places to eat and have a great time. 10 things to do in Akureyri with I am Reykjavik!
Did you know that Akureyri settles in one of the longest fiords in Iceland? Yes, Eyjafjörður fiord features drastic peaks and one of the most active places to practice skiing!
There are also interesting art galleries, lively festivals during winter or summer and extensive accommodation alternatives. Some may say that this rural area is way uncommon to other small towns.
Here are 10 things to do in Akureyri
- If your visit to Akureyri takes place during summer time, find beautiful gardens at Lystigardurinn (Artic Botanical Gardens) for those who enjoy nature and a relaxed walk, it is more than recommended. There is also a cozy café nearby.
- Continuing on the cultural side of Akureyri, let me tell you about The Aviation Museum, a very interesting place that is worth visiting. Their friendly staff will walk you through the story of Iceland’s aviation and some curious facts that only locals keep.
- For those looking for some adventure tourism, Viking Rafting promises great excitement down the rapids of East Glaciar River, along with captivating scenery. They also offer kayaking and local expeditions!
- Fly fishing is also a recommended activity to try, specially if you decide to take a guided tour with a passionate local to share this adventure with. Find out more details of Iceland fly fishing.
- You may probably know that Akureyri is also the capital for white sports, such as skiing and snowboarding. A great activity for families and friends. Only about 5km. from town, you will reach Hlidarfjall Akureyri which offers rentals, ski school and nice cafeterias.
- Ready for the cold waters of the north? Diving and snorkelling are one of the most spectacular things to do in Akureyri. Strytan will be your ally on your adventure, located about 22km. north Akureyri.
- Explore Skjaldarvik area near Akureyri and live a unique ride on board of a buggy! That’s right, these vehicles can go off road and are suitable for any weather. All you need is a driver’s license and you will be on your way. Skjaldarvik Tours will make this happen.
- Whale Watching is also one of Iceland’s best attractions. Locally operated tours are available from spring to autumn, offering the opportunity to discover marine wildlife like never before. Along with a strong conservation commitment for Akureyri’s fauna.
10 things to do in Akureyri
- Hiking and walking possibilities in Akureyri and its surroundings are endless. You can walk through hiking paths near Eyjafjarðará river, heading south of town and explore Krossanesborgir natural conservation area easily. Akureyri Touring Club offers guided tours and more.
- After a long day visiting this lovely town, go for a swim at the local Akureyri Thermal Pool, opens daily and it offers a wide range of water temperatures, from 27º C to 42ºC. Perfect for relaxing and have fun! Þingvallastræti 21.