If you are checking this post right now, it is because the idea of renting a vehicle while in Iceland has come to you mind, right? Well, you have come to the right place! In this Car Rental Iceland. Which is the best car rental in Iceland? post we will help you making up your mind, clearing any doubts you might have and sharing some useful tips for driving through the island.
Coming to a new country, not knowing any local companies and unware of what the road requires and what to expect can be hard, but we have made a price comparison of several car rental companies that offer their services in Iceland to ease your mind…and be easy on your pocket!
|Ranking||Local Car Rentals in Iceland||Price, Popularity & Service|
|1||Cars Iceland – 1st Place||★★★★★|
|2||Reykjavík Cars – 2nd Place||★★★★★|
|3||Reykjavík Auto – 3rd Place||★★★★★|
|7||Orange Car Rental||★★★|
|8||Red Car Rental||★★★|
|10||ISAK Car Rental||★★★|
Before renting a vehicle, you need to analyze your travel needs and your itinerary, it normally takes up to 7-10 days to drive all the way around Iceland; that means you will spend quite a long time in your car so this needs to be a thoughtful decision. Do not worry, this Car Rental Iceland. Which is the best car rental in Iceland? tips will help you choosing the right vehicle for you.
What kind of vehicle do I need?
You have two options to choose from: 2WD and 4X4 vehicles.
If you are sticking to the main and paved roads, such as the N1 also known as “The Ring Road” a 2WD vehicle will do. However, if you are planning on taking mountain roads or interior roads also called “F-Roads” then a 4X4 is a must.
Bear in mind driving a 4X4 is not always enough, there are certain roads where an experienced driver is required in order to avoid accidents or hazardous situations.
In Iceland, we mainly drive manual vehicles but car rental companies do offer automatic ones, and for those readers used to driving on the right side…it’s time to switch places! Driver’s seat is located on the left side.
Is it really necessary to add extra insurances?
In the rental companies we checked for this Car Rental Iceland. Which is the best car rental in Iceland? report, we found that all of them include CDW basic insurance. But there are some extra insurances they offer you might want to consider adding as well:
- Gravel Protection: while driving in Iceland you may encounter several gravel roads. What is a gravel road, you may ask? Well it is a type of unpaved road covered in pebbles that is quite common in Iceland. The odds of your windshield being hit or being broken by one of these little rocks and causing damages are to be considered. you can reduce these chances by slowing down and obeying the speed limits. Repairing costs can be quite high, so having a gravel protection insurance is always a valuable option.
- SAAP: it stands for Sand and Ash protection; this is recommended if you are traveling mainly throughout the south coast from April to September.
Having been born and raised in Reykjavik, our family trips to escape the city and get into the nature and outdoors were definitely a constant during my childhood; my dad of course was the one in charge of delivering us from getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. This is how I learnt my first and most important driving lesson I am going to share with you in this Car Rental Iceland. Which is the best car rental in Iceland? article: do not take nature for granted.
Car Rental Iceland – A real adventure!
Iceland’s landscape is strikingly beautiful but dangerous too, there are many risks that you just would not come across in any other country, all of these factors are important when renting a vehicle.
- Refrain from off driving:
If you do not wish to be stranded, please stick to marked roads. Chances of coming across muddy roads where you can end up being stuck are quite high
- Beware the wind:
I have seen so many cases of tourist having their rental car’s doors broken because of the wind. Iceland is quite windy and sometimes strong wind gusts hit in. Bear this in mind when getting in and out of your vehicle.
- Respect our Nature:
Iceland nature is extremely fragile, driving on it can leave tire tracks. It takes decades for vegetation to grow back.
Nature is important but so is security. We also have some safety tips to share in this Car Rental Iceland. Which is the best car rental in Iceland? post:
- 112 APP: in case of emergency, this app can call emergency services and at the same time it sends a text message with your exact location making it easier to locate your whereabouts.
- Gas Stations: Always mark gas stations along your route and be sure you have enough gas until the next refilling point. In some areas they can be harder to find or distance between one and the other can vary. Main companies are: N1, Olís and skeljungur.
- Winter Tires: From the 1st of November until the 14th of April studded winter tires are required. Please check with your rental company if they do provide them.